According to Wikipadia, Parenting or child rearing is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood.
Britannica also defined Parenting as the process of raising children and providing them with protection and care in order to ensure their healthy development into adulthood.
From the definitions of parentingg above, you will understand that it is all about initiating and giving a child a life that is worth living. That is, giving the child a platform that will make achievements of other necessities of life possible.
For this to happen, the parents must first know what to do and what is expected.
Becoming a successful parent is a goal and desire that must be deliberately pursued. Just like a farmer who wants a good harvest, such farmer must be deliberate in application of unique measures that will support the realisation of a good harvest.
The good news is, every parent, irrespective of status can raise exceptional child. This is true by looking at the example of the mother of Ben Carson. Ben Carson was sometime ago the best neoronsurgeon in the whole world. He was single-handedly raised my his mother who was an illiterate or semi-illiterate. She was the bread-winner of the family doing a menial job to raise two boys.
But one thing singled her out and separated her from other numerous parents that would have given up because of their circumstances. She did not allow her circumstance dictates the direction of her life, and that of their children. Listen, your life will follow the path of the goal you set for yourself. If you didn’t set any goal, anything can happen. I advice you set the goal of giving the best to your child(ren) today. Lack of money or education should not stand in the way of becoming an ideal parent.
The good news is, no matter how hard your parenting journey is today, if you do it right, you will enjoy it tomorrow. If done otherwise, you will suffer it tomorrow.
I am not suggesting that it will just be smooth. The journey of raising your children may not be smooth, but the ability to do what is necessary available if only you call and engage it. Remember that, “all things are possible to him that believes”, and where there is a will, there will surely be a way.
In order to help you to become an ideal parent, I have compiled these tips as things to take notice of, and engage. This is important, considering the fact that every child’s destiny counts. Apart from God, parents are the next factor that determines the experience of children in life. For instance, a child that is not trained on how to be respectful will keep meeting with rejections and unfriendly reactions from people without knowing the source of the problem.
Here are some tips for being an ideal parent you would like to be.
- Make efforts to be the best parent you can be. Nothing plus nothing is nothing. There are no perfect parents – mistakes are chances to learn. Always make moves to be better.
- Know that you are your child’s first role model. You are the leader, director and coordinator of your child enterprises. Therefore, take care of yourself so you have energy to care for your children. Also, learn as much as you can, network as many as possible to get assistance to help.
- Be strong and persevere. Don’t live through your kids – meet your needs through your own efforts. The time will come when your children will take care of you. Create a solid foundation for them for that to happen.
- Equip your children with skills and help them engage their talents. Support and give them the skills to solve their own problems – avoid being a “helicopter” parent. A parent that hovers around children and does not allow them use their initiatives because he doesn’t want them to make mistakes.
- Focus on specific area to be developed. Even though parenting should be goal-oriented and futuristic, you must pay attention on the problem before you. You have many years to raise your children – focus on one or two concerns at a time. For instance, when it is time for potty training, you need to pay attention and train your child appropriately. Then you can focus on another area that needs your attention.
- Pick and choose from your upbringing how you want to parent. Is it admirable? Improve or Maintain it. If not, look out for the type you want and apply it.
- Deliberately introduce and maintain joyful moments. Create family traditions to pass on memories and values.
- Learn and copy the style of those doing it right. Get on the same page for larger parenting decisions with those who share in your children’s care.
- Always be on the look out for helps when needed. Seek support when you need it.
- Don’t be too serious about it. Maintain a sense of humor. Enjoy the process with your children. Let the gains ahead motivate you and consider the tasks as pleasurable.
All parents are making the best decisions they can about their children’s needs, given their past experiences, the information they have, and the circumstances they face.
There are no perfect parents and often when parents do strive for perfection, they become exhausted and can feel inadequate.
Parents and their children are better off when moms and dads:
take care of themselves,
give themselves credit for all the good things they are doing,
have people in their lives who will offer them support and appreciation for their efforts.
Parenting is the most important job that any of us ever have: raising children to become responsible, caring, compassionate, and resilient. It is also one of the most challenging and frustrating. Parents need and deserve support and information to help them do the best they can in this critical task.